12.2.10

Living with crows, in shades of grey

What are the chances that you will end up exactly where you didn't plan to at all? In fact using the word plan would be a bit much. What if it was something that never even crossed your mind because clearly it was not even remotly close to the range of your mental radar of possibilities. In my case the chances are very high.
Correction. Extremely high. Super high. Very very very high. Whatever works best to explain the palusibility.
Then why on earth did I never anticipate being in Bombay? Beats me...
It simply never ocurred to me that going by my track record my chances of ending up in Bombay (Yeah! sue me Shiv Sena and MNS, but I will call this city Bombay!!!) were HIGH.
So, here I am, in a new city, living in a lovely flat in Bandra with a wonderful friend and working in an office that takes five minutes to reach in an auto. Honestly!
I know I know I live a charmed life by Bombay standards. Didn't have to deal with the brokers or the landlords. The obnoxious traffic doesn't suck the last ounce of happiness out of my blood every morning and evening and all I had to do to call this city home for now is come here for a long long overdue 4 day break, end up finding my current job while chilling at the Bagel Shop and make my way up here, eeerrr, down here actually, two months later with just a suitcase and a cabin bag for company.
This wasn't the plan. The cabin bag and the suitcase and me in that order were itching to work in grey grey and cold cold London. But here I am in grey grey stinky stinky warm warm Bombay, already dreading the hot hot swealtry swealtry summer and the ultra wet wet fungal smelling monsoons. I love the rains, don't get me wrong. But I hate mould and clothes that don't dry for days...
Anyway, I like Bombay. But I don't love it. I am still trying to understand the love-hate relationship the city and I have come to share and why. I mean I love my flat and my office (I seriously do. Not lying. Cross my heart...), I love candies and their coffee, I like Prithvi cafe and Carter road promenade and joggers park and the coconut trees and the sea. I love the sea unconditionally. But I cannot stand to sit near it for more than five minutes here. It leaves me with a headache. The stench that is. I've been told that over time I learn to sunconsciously ignore it... I'm still waiting for that to happen...
But that is not all. I have to always choose my place at my favourite cafe's very very carefully least I get bird shit on me yet again. Oh yeah! I've been shat on my Bombay birds four times since I got here. Four times in 8 weeks! That's four times the number of times I had to deal with that crap in the rest of my well spent years!!! And I have lived well past my teens mind you.
Then again, what are the chances that you end up saving you self from Scottish seagulls that crap a mug-full each time they do (good enough to literally drench you!) for a whole year and end up being bird-shit prey in Bombay several times over and top it all step on cow dung on your first day in the city. Perfect cherry on the icing. But then what else was I expecting from a city where I constantly hear crows crowing. They shut up only between late at night till abt 3 am and start all over again. I can hear them even above the constant din of the traffic. A constant almost-humming sound but definitely not pleasant. Do you too??? Or is it only me and my virgin ears??? It's probably me I am guessing... after all I am the outsider and not them crows right!!!
Pardon me for digressing. Tends to happen when you've been itching to ramble....
But the city... hummm... now the city is lovely... but...
Oh whatever... am bored now... I need to find something else than eating chocos for dinner and writing on a Friday night in this high-on-nightlife city... Getting high is definitely an option but too much effort... driving cannot be an option... my lovely wheels are still in Delhi (Yeah! I know you had probably figured by now that I am a Delhiite...) ... ho-hum... the air is glum... I'm now a Bombay bum...
Friday night at home... hummm... What are the chances... eh!?

PS - there will be more randomnes here as I bum about more in this grey city of crows... :) 

5 comments:

  1. Ha ha ha.. the "shat upon" bit was hilarious... seriously what are the chances...!! All I can say is that you have knack to be in the wrong place, at the wrong time...!

    Good one though..Keep it comin' Dilli Gal...it's good to see a Delhiites version of Bombay (Yes, I am gonna call it that too...not that I have a problem with "Mumbai"..I just like messing with D**KHEADS!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes darling, you are definitely well past your teens. But i like what time has done to your writing skills. Truly proud. Love the title.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great writing! But just a suggestion... stop cursing the crows (which you have been doing since the day you landed)... and may be they will find some other stuck up head to shit on. FYI - Gorwing crow population actually good... A Birmigham Times report... http://www.al.com/living/birminghamnews/news.ssf?/base/living/125153375851740.xml&coll=2
    (Amm... isn't it around the cold cold city that you rather be in?) So you might wanna think about your plans again. Also, I couldn't help but notice that the list of your likes is more than the dislikes... so I am not sure what the fuss is all about :) Again! Great writing. Keep 'em coming.

    ReplyDelete